Navigating Supplemental Premium for the 2023 California Bond Limit Increase
By Cole Bogue, VP of Surety
Per the California State Contractors License Board, limits on California Contractor License Bonds will increase to $25,000 effective January 1, 2023.
What does this mean?
BTIS will increase your clients' bonds to $25,000 to be in compliance with the CSLB. This increase will result in an additional supplemental premium*.
Limit increases pertain to:
- Principal - increasing from $15,000 to $25,000
- Qualifying Individual - increasing from $12,500 to $25,000
BTIS is accepting supplemental premium payments on California License Bonds through 04/27/23. The first supplemental premium amounts will appear on the September 2022 invoice statement, which will be released in October.
All required limit increase filings will be handled by BTIS on 01/01/23, as required by the CSLB.
To streamline the limit increase and supplemental premium collection, we're offering the following options:
- Pay the supplemental premium amount - The bond will retain its original expiration date, and the additional premium amount due will be communicated.
- Truncate your client's bond - The bond's term will be shortened, and the expiration date will be based on the previously paid premium, no additional premium will be due.
How to make a payment
Please make your supplemental premium payments by agency check, ACH, or credit card via the BTIS Payment Page.*
*You must be signed into BTIS to make a payment. Clients cannot utilize the ‘Make a Payment’ portal.
We're also working to streamline the process
In Q4 of 2022, BTIS will launch a Supplemental Premium Portal to simplify and streamline this process for our producers.
This portal will allow producers to:
- Pay Supplemental Premiums
- Truncate Bonds
- Download Bond Supplemental Premium Invoices
- Download New Bond Documents
We realize this increase may be confusing to navigate and are here to support you through the process. Please contact the bond department at (916) 772-9200 with any questions.
* “Producer will pay to BTIS all earned Premium on each policy placed through BTIS even if Producer does not collect a premium from the policyholder.” If a rider is issued, the agent is responsible for the premium due, according to the producer agreement.